“Detroit today has always been your town tomorrow.” – Coleman Young, Mayor of Detroit, 1974-1994
As Small Change packs our bags for our Detroit events this Friday, the former mayor’s quote has been pinging around our heads. Given the level of activity and development in Detroit today, his words seem downright prescient. And it’s also reminded us of some of the things we love most about the Motor City.
Here are just a few:
- Looking up at the views at the corner of Congress & Griswold
- The food at Le Shish in Dearborn
- Listening to Death’s For the Whole World to See LP over and over
- Getting lost on Belle Isle
- Getting lost in Indian Village
- Re-reading Ze’ev Chafets’ Devil’s Night
- Re-reading Dean Bakopoulos’ Please Don’t Come Back from the Moon
- Drinking at Cafe d’Mongos on a Friday night
- Eating a Lafayette Coney in Lafayette Park (Who are we kidding? You’re going to eat your coney right away.)
- Blasting Dennis Coffey
- Blasting Smokey Robinson
- Palmer Park
Man, we could never stop. Meet us in Detroit.